Don’t you just love ferments?
And all those beneficial little probiotics that come with your crunchy veggies? You could make your own sauerkraut, kimchi or fermented veggies but there’s quite a bit of time involved.
So you’ll be glad to know that artisans are making them for you at a farm near Charlottesville, Virginia, called Farmstead Ferments.
Describing themselves as “a family of fermentation artists, gardeners, herbalists, local food advocates, woods folk, and community builders” the folks at Farmstead Ferments are turning out a delightful local product.
These ferments meet high standards.
- are lacto-fermented and therefore teeming with health enhancing probiotic microbes (NO vinegar is used)
- feature veggies raised with organic practices
- feature ingredients grown on their own farm and other nearby farms
- are packed in glass jars (no BPA — yay!)
- are delicious!
Watch the video below to learn how they’re made.
Want inspiration for how to enjoy your ferments?
Here are some of Farmstead Ferments novel menu ideas. Bet you’ve never thought of some of these combinations!
- Scrambled Eggs with Kraut
- Kraut Stuffed Grilled Cheese
- Egg & Kraut Sandwiches
- Reuben Sandwich
- Sausage, Hot Dog Bun, Kraut
- Kimchi & Korean Beef Bahn Mi
- Nut Butter Toast with Kraut
- Taco or Burrito Topping
- Asian Sesame Noodles with Tamari & Kimchi
- Grain Salad with Kraut, Nuts, and Dried Fruits
- Stewed Lentils Dolloped with Kraut
- Kraut as a Pizza Topping